Sunday, September 23, 2012

Session 1 Introduction


Hi Class,

My name is Melissa Sakoonphong and I am a second year graduate student in the Educational Counseling and Guidance program at CSUSB.  My prior experiences with e-learning have been limited to online and hybrid courses at the community college level from an end-user’s perspective, so I still have quite a way to go in terms of design and development of an e-learning course.  My hopes and short-term goals for this class is to learn as much as possible about e-learning, earn an e-learning certificate, then work towards a M.A in Instructional Technology.  More importantly, my long-term goals for this course is to become an online guidance instructor, develop an online tool that will help train new counselors, and increase graduation rates with the use of an online educational plan.  I am excited to be a part of this class and hope this course will take me one step closer to helping students achieve their goals.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    My first online course was at the Community College as well. Fortunately, I enjoyed the course and the idea of discussing what spoke to us. I took an Art History course, so most of our topics were based on divergent content and how we felt about a certain piece of work. I believe classes like these help us to step outside the box and really understand a topic for more than at it appears. I think it is amazing how you want to be an Online Guidance Counselor. That is really great! It makes sense--if students are taking online courses, it would be logical that they be navigated to online resources by a counselor. Also, what problems could the student potentially face? Are they understanding how to use the technology? Is the online course right for them? Great career move!

    Below are a couple of URL's. They are pictures of what I believe effective e-learning stands for.The second URL embodies great instructor characteristics.

    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=e-learning&um=1&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=568&tbm=isch&tbnid=gov0gHILqACtAM:&imgrefurl=http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/elearningcategories.htm&docid=XJOFeNu9w9LAhM&imgurl=http://www.elearnspace.org/images/Categories%252520of%252520eLearning.gif&w=866&h=556&ei=gmVmUJHhNKS8iwKNkIGQCw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=78&sig=103082858347695122401&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=230&start=0&ndsp=9&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:139&tx=156&ty=54


    http://asianvu.com/bookstoread/framework/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamira,
      Thank you for stopping by my blog, responding to my post, and the links. I completely agree with your logic about students taking online course, therefore, it makes sense to have an online guidance counselor. As the popularity of online education grows I believe the need for online counselors will grow as well, and who better to facilitate and design an online guidance lesson than a counselor with experience that speaks to those needs.

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa!

    You mentioned you would like to be an online guidance instructor. Would this be at a higher education level? Students transferring from a community college to a 4 year institution? I think this is an awesome idea! I’ve taken a couple of online classes and I’ve learned so much and would like to expand my knowledge on IT. I’m glad to have you in this class and hope to learn from you and the rest of my classmates.

    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    Thank you for the nice comment and the answer to your questions is yes. My focus and passion is within a community college setting, and my dream is to help at least one student everyday achieve their dreams. Whether their dream is to transfer to a 4-year university or simply get an Associates and head into the workforce, I hope to be a part of their journey and help them reach their goal(s).

    ReplyDelete